Jack Sues Debt Claim | local sports

JACK WARNER, the former FIFA vice-president, will still pursue a claim that he is owed millions of dollars by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association to which he was a former special adviser.

The Sunday Express contacted Warner yesterday and in a very brief conversation the former high-ranking international football administrator confirmed his intention to pursue his claim, despite a meeting on Friday where the majority of TTFA creditors agreed a debt repayment stipulation that likely rules out Warner.

When asked if he was pursuing his claim despite Friday’s ruling, Warner replied, “Yeah, I still am.”

Pressed for more details, Warner said, “That’s all I can tell you. For anything else, talk to my lawyer.

On Friday, TTFA creditors voted unanimously in favor of a motion that before anyone receives payment under a restructured debt repayment proposal, they must meet the anti-money laundering requirements of the debt of the Association and must not have been sanctioned in any jurisdiction due to financial irregularity.

The debt repayment proposal was drawn up by TTFA-appointed Administrator Maria Daniel and a legal team and accepted by a majority of creditors, as a means of clearing the Association’s multi-million debt. On May 5, at a meeting chaired by the Insolvency Supervisor, TTFA creditors unanimously voted on the proposal to reimburse the trustee for the settlement of monies owed to them. The debt repayment is to be funded by a $3.5 million interest-free instrument that the TTFA will have ten years to repay. Creditors owed up to TT$200,000 will be paid in full and those above will receive a percentage owed.

Warner claims the TTFA owes him several million dollars.

Under new terms set by the TTFA debt repayment financier and voted on by a majority of creditors on Friday, Warner will likely be left out of the payment scheme.

Warner is a former FIFA vice-president and member of the executive committee, but left world football’s governing body in 2011 after being suspended following earlier corruption charges linked to a presidential election. The governing body said when it resigned that the “presumption of innocence is upheld”.

However, after launching a thorough investigation, the FIFA Ethics Committee subsequently banned Warner for life from all football-related activity, effective September 25, 2015, following an investigation into the competition. bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

FIFA’s statement reads: “The chairman of the ethics committee’s investigative chamber, Dr Cornel Borbely, who took over as chairman from his predecessor at the end of December 2014, immediately opened the investigation into Warner’s operations in January 2015.

FIFA found Warner guilty of violations of Art. 13 [General rules of conduct], art. 15 [Loyalty], art. 18 [Duty of disclosure, cooperation and reporting], art. 19 [Conflicts of interest], art. 20 [Offering and accepting gifts and other benefits] and art. 41 [Obligation of the parties to collaborate] of the FIFA Code of Ethics.

“Mr. Warner has been found to have engaged in numerous and various acts of misconduct on a continuous and repeated basis during his tenure as an official in various high-ranking and influential positions at FIFA and CONCACAF.”

“In his role as a football official, he was a key player in schemes involving the offering, acceptance and receipt of undisclosed and illegal payments, as well as other lucrative schemes,” FIFA said.

Friday’s meeting was called by Trustee Maria Daniel to update creditors on the status of the debt repayment proposal and inform them of the additional conditionality issued by the debt repayment financier. It was held at the TTFA Home of Football and attendees attended in person and virtually. The Insolvency Supervisor was present at the meeting.

Daniel told creditors that all claims received so far have gone through the validation process and only one of the invalidated claimants has raised an issue, which is the subject of separate legal proceedings. However, this would not prevent the trustee from presenting the proposal to the court for approval on September 7, 2022. Asked about the nature of the motion, she said that the plaintiff had not provided the trustee with adequate documentation or evidence to support of the claim.

Comments are closed.